Sunday, May 4, 2014

How Bad is Social Media Exactly?

Social media, in my opinion, is actually not bad for us, I believe there is a lot of good that comes out of it. There are many parents, adults, teachers, and even experts that argue that social media is ruining this generation. But why? because we have found a different way to communicate with friends and family? Sure maybe some of us spend too much time on our phones or computers, but really we aren't any different than kids from previous generations, according to Boyd. All we have done is found a different way to communicate. Some arguments also include not socializing with family. And although there are many that spend a lot of time on social media, I believe that it gives them the opportunity to talk to family more often. Being connected via social media sites has its advantages. And it doesn't have to stop at family, keeping in touch with friends has become easier to do. Although 'friending' has become a popularity contest, those so called friends that you might actually know, are just a chat box away from contacting them. Another major argument is the privacy of anyone on social media. I must say, that this is one thing that I would completely agree with. We may have more access to talking with people but we have surely sacrificed almost all of our online privacy. Information about you is available to virtually anyone capable of getting online. It's a scary thought but nearly everyone is willing to take the risk. It's a new generation, with new technology, we have to realize that it doesn't have to be such a bad thing.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Mike!

    I agree with you completely. I don't think social media/networks are bad for us either. They're a way for us to connect to people, friends, family, classmates, teachers, coaches, and peers on a level that was never thought of before, which some might view as bad, but I remember one student in our class said that the only social media they use is Skype, and if this wasn't available to that student because it was seen as "bad," then how are they supposed to connect to people outside of their immediate circle? I'm familiar with Skype myself and my family and I use it often. My sister took a trip to Kenya a few years ago and our only way of contacting her was through Skype as the other networks were simply not available there. Granted, the connection was often poor and the quality of the video was lacking in some areas, but I think if I didn't have that outlet to connect with my sister, I'm not sure we could have gone those months she was there without seeing her--it would have drove us crazy! So, no, I don't think social networks are bad.

    You also bring up a good point about us sacrificing our online privacy and that having our information being so easily accessible by many others, some we may not even know, is a scary thought. I would also agree with you here on the note that this sacrifice, this risk, everyone is willing to take it. And we have to, in order to move forward with time and not be held back by the lack of technological advances of previous generations.

    Good stuff! :)

    - Ben

    ReplyDelete